Follow @marvelousreads

zaterdag 29 augustus 2015

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

Before I read this trilogy, I have read The Mortal Instruments series. So I was already well-known with Cassandra's fantastic writing-style. Because of that, I really wanted to read the stunning prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
I tried really hard to write a non-spoiler review, but I just couldn't do it. So if you haven't read the books yet, do NOT read the review of Clockwork Prince and Clockwork Princess.


Book one: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Published: August 31st 2010 by Simon & Schuster, Margaret K. McElderry
Genres: Ya, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance
Pages: 479
Goodreads




Clockwork Angel is a novel written by Cassandra Clare. It's about Tessa Gray who goes to London to live with her brother. But when she arrives she is captured by 'the Dark Sisters'. After a few weeks Tessa is finally rescued by the beautiful Shadowhunter William Herondale. She is taken to the London Institute, were she agrees to use her ability ( =shape-shifting) to help the Nephilim. In return they promised Tessa to help her search for her brother Nate. During her days at the Institute she befriends the two mysterious shadowhunters Will and Jem.

The first 50-100 pages of this book were a bit boring, but when I read further I was really into the story. As usual Cassandra wrote a beautiful trilogy.

Characters: 
There were a few characters that are also in TMI, for example Magnus Bane and Camille. I found it pleasant to read about characters that you already knew. I also enjoyed reading about the Lightwoods and Herondales. After reading this trilogy I really want/need to re-read TMI.

Tessa: What I really liked about Tessa is that sometimes she can be very stubborn and immensely curious. Tessa's love-story was very complicated. She loves Will and Jem at the same time. Normally I hate love triangles. I just really hate it! But in this story I kind of liked it... . I mean I wanted Tessa to end up with Will, but at the same time I thought that Tessa and Jem were really cute together. This is the first love triangle that I did not hate, although I was sometimes irritated. I'm just not a person who supports love triangles.

Will: I'm team Will all the way! He comes across as rude and arrogant, but I loved his quick wit and sarcasm. He often made me laugh out loud. And if a character can make me laugh out loud a lot, it means it's a great character! Will's character resembles a lot to Jace's and I loved Jace in the Mortal Instruments so how could I not love Will? Will pretends that he doesn't care about others (besides his Parabatai Jem) and he keeps everyone at arms-length. But I knew he did this with a reason...only...what is the reason?? (You'll find out in the second book.)

Jem: James is the opposite of his Parabatai Will. He is kind, calm and quiet. I love Jem, but not so much as I love Will. Jem cares a lot about others and he is so nice. Sometimes I found him too nice haha. Who would have thought that? Unfortunately, Jem is sick, when he was little and lived in the Shanghai Institute, the Greater Demon Yanluo killed his parents and tortured Jem by poisoning him with Yin Fen. Now he is addicted to the drug and there is no cure. Because of all of this, Jem would not have long to live.

Charlotte and Henry: I love this couple! They run the Institute together, but Henry actually doesn't help. Charlotte is kind and loving, but she's very capable of leading. Henry is an optimist, he likes to think positive at all times and he is always so cheerful, which I love about him. Henry is also an inventor.

Sophie: Sophie works at the Institute as the ladies' maid. She's kind, but often shy. Before she worked at the Institute, she worked as a parlor maid in a house in St. Johns Wood. The son of her employer, Teddy, tried to seduce her several times. Sophie turned him down. Teddy was so furious that he cut Sophie's face with a knife and he said that if he couldn't have her, nobody would want her. I feel sorry for Sophie, she's such a sweet girl and she did not deserve this. You see her grow out of her shell during the story. Every time she became stronger, I began to like her more and more.


Book Two: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Published: December 6th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Margaret K. McElderry
Genres: Ya, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance
Pages: 502

Goodreads



Clockwork prince is the second novel in the Infernal Devices trilogy. Tessa and her friends must find the Magister (=Mortmain) who hopes to marry Tessa and wants to use her ability of shape-shifting for his revenge on the shadowhunters.

I loved this book as much as the first one. They were both brilliant books. I loved Will even more in this book, because the wall he has built around himself was crumbling. Clockwork Prince reveals why he always was so mean. It's because he thought he was cursed and if anyone would love him, they would die. When the truth was finally out, we got to know the real Will. Then Will explained his love for Tessa, but it was too late. She was already engaged with Jem. Jem and Tessa were so cute together in Clockwork Prince. Jem was stronger and happier then he was before because of her. How lovely :)

New Characters: In the second and third book you get to know new characters. Cassandra's characters are so amazing. I loved everyone in this story.

Gabriel Lightwood: I always found that Will and Gabriel had a lot of the same character traits. If they didn't hate each other so much they would be good friends. I'm sure about that. But I actually liked to read about how they hate each other. It was very entertaining. It was also very predictable when Gabriel and Cecily fell in love, I loved the interaction between them. They are meant to be and they're my OTP!

Gideon Lightwood: Gideon was stupidly in love with Sophie, he tried to get her attention a lot. The way he always searched for a reason to just talk to her made me smile. I'm glad that a gentleman like Gideon was in love with her, because Sophie deserve someone like him. They are so sweet together!

Cecily Herondale: I love Cecily! She was the female replica of Will. Which is actually obvious 
because they are brother and sister. Cecily also had a great sense of humor and sarcasm. You get to know her well in the third book. She came to the Institute to rescue her brother. She thought that shadowhunters were evil creatures. So Cecily wanted to bring Will home .After a while she realizes that Will is already home, and so is she.

Book three; Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
Published: September 5th 2013 by Walker Books Ltd (First Published March 19th 2013)
Genres: Ya, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance
Pages: 567
Goodreads

Mortmain wants to destroy the shadowhunters world. But before he can do that, he needs someone who can help him with that. He needs Tessa. When Mortmain abducts Tessa, Jem and Will will do anything to rescue her. But time is precious in this heart-breaking end... .

This was the best book of the trilogy! I did not even care about Mortmain in this story, I only wanted to know what happened with Tessa, Jem and Will. Was Tessa going to choose between them? Is Jem going to die because of the Yin Fen? I had so many questions. Fortunately, all of my questions were answered in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Ending/epilogue: I loved the end so much! It was perfect! I am still not over it! SPOILER ALERT everyone gets what they wanted. Will got the life he always dreamed about. He married Tessa and they have two children. Eventually he died of age. I was so sad and happy at the same time. It saddens me that Will is dead, but from the beginning I hoped that Will would have his dream life and he did. Even Jem got his. Because Tessa was immortal, she did not age and neither did Jem. He changed into a silent brother so that he wasn't addicted to the Yin Fen anymore. At the end (eighty years later), Jem was released from the Silent Brothers and he and Tessa got back together. Tessa truly loved the two boys and that is what matters to me.

Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two.”

There is one more thing that I wanted to talk about and that is: when Jem transformed into a Silent Brother they named him brother Zachariah. I immediately knew that this name came for in The Mortal Instruments. So now I need to re-read the Mortal Instruments, I want to know more about Jem! When I read the Mortal Instruments I did not care about Brother Zachariah, and now I blame myself for it.

“Life was an uncertain thing.”

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten