Follow @marvelousreads

donderdag 24 september 2015

The Selection by Kiera Cass


The Selection by Kiera Cass
Published: April 24th 2012 by Harper Teen
Genres: Ya Dystopia Romance
Pages: 336


The selection is a dystopia romance written by Kiera Cass.
Summary: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The selection is a fun read. It's one of the books you can read in one day. The selection definitely made me smile a lot, although I was really irritated at the same time (mostly because of the love-triangle in this book). When I read the Selection, I thought a lot that this is just 'the Hunger Games' glossed over to a fairy-tale story, (a group of 35 girls competing for the heart of a guy is like 24 tributes who are fighting to death in an arena) but luckily it did not bothered me. Probably because I love 'the Hunger Games' and I like to read a similar story.

Characters: The main character is America Singer, one of the lucky girls who is selected for the selection. I loved and hated her, she's a nice and caring girl, but sometimes so so irritating. She hesitated like all the time. It looks like I say often that I love and hate the main character, but you have to know that that's not always the case. There are a lot of books where I don't found the main character irritating. Back to America. Well, I liked that she was a fighter. She wanted people to know (especially rich people) how it was to live in one of the lowest social classes, and how hard they had to work for a little wage. America stood up for herself and her family and that is why I love her. The other characters in this book were fine, especially prince Maxon. He is a little bit shy, which is cute, and I really liked him. But my favorite character in the whole series was Celeste, yes I know that's weird because she's like the bad guy in the series. I just really liked her.

I have read the whole trilogy and I found the first book the best one. I also liked the second one named: The Elite, although I was really irritated most of the time because America's behavior was really stupid in this book. The last book named: The One was better than the second one. There was also more action than in the other two books, which I really like.
I recommend 'The Selection' to people who are patient and like a dystopia romance.

All by all I give this book 3,5 stars.


“It's always the fear of looking stupid that stops you from being awesome.”

1 opmerking:

  1. I totally agree, I loved the first one but I was also irritated with the elite :p

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen