Follow @marvelousreads

dinsdag 14 juli 2015

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Published May 13th 2014 by Delacorte Press
Genres: Contemporary, Mystery, Ya Romance
Pages: 227
Goodreads

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.



We Were Liars is a a modern, sophisticated suspense novel written by E. Lockhart. The story is about 'The Liars' three teenage cousins : Johnny, Mirren, our narrator Cadence and an outsider Gat). But something happend to them... Cadence had an accident which she can't remember and is left with crippling migraines.

A friend of me recommended this book,
she said it was beautiful and was constantly talking about the ending and how it was so unpredictable and so on which made me think: “Okay, I really want to read this book". Because my friend said so many positive things about it, I had a lot of expectations. But let me tell you this: “It was so breathtaking...so incredible... . We Were Liars left me defeated and I'm so glad that I have read this book. You should read it too if you haven't yet!


Characters: I liked everyone in this book. Some more than others. Lockhart described the characters very well, that it made me feel like I was there too. My favorite character was actually Johnny. I found him so funny. Maybe it was also because he didn't act so mysterious. Cadence was the narrator and sometimes there were parts where I thought : “WHAT AM I READING?” I was so confused!  for example: ‘Then he (Cadence's dad) pulled out a handgun and shot me in the chest. I was standing on the lawn and I fell. The bullet hole opened wide and my heart rolled out of my rib cage and down into a flower bed. Blood gushed rhythmically from my open wound, then from my eyes, my ears, my mouth’. When I read this again I was like: “Oh ok, it's how she felt.” (I think Cadence is really messed up but I understand because I would be messed up too) The other Characters like Gat and Mirren were okay, I liked them but I didn't 'love' them. The only thing that missed was that I did not easily get attached to the characters.


Ending: I had a lot of theories, but none of them were right (I mostly thought that Cadence was raped by Gat). Lockhart did a great job. I mean no one saw that coming! I had to re-read the end because I did not believe it... Damn, it was so unpredictable! I'm not going to spoil anything. I'm only going to say READ THIS BRILLIANT BOOK! Read it and if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


                                  “Do not accept an evil you can change.” 

2 opmerkingen: