Follow @marvelousreads

zondag 26 juli 2015

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Published by Simon & Schuster on April 15th 2014
Genres: YA contemporary, romance
Pages: 288 (Hardcover) / 422 (Paperback)
Goodreads






To All the Boys I've Loved Before is a contemporary novel written by Jenny Han. It's the first instalment of the 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before'-duology. 
The story follows Lara Jean, a sixteen year old girl, who writes letters to all the boys she has ever had a crush on, 5 in total. Of course she never actually mailed them…until one day the letters get send out.

I first stumbled upon this book while I was looking for a book to read, so naturally I checked Goodreads and found this one. The summary appealed to me and I knew that this was going to be one of those books that I would just LOVE. And love I did. If you're fan of cute contemporary novels then I highly recommend you to read this book!

Characters: I found myself loving all of the characters, except Genevieve, from page 1 to page 288/422. Everyone was just so lovable and great. My favourite though was Kitty (Katherine); the youngest of the Song girls. She is so intelligent and mischievous for a nine year old girl. She often made me think of myself in some ways. 
Lara Jean: Lara Jean was this quirky girl that I (most of time) loved, as stated above. She grew and became a little bit more mature towards the ending. LJ was actually really immature for a 16-year old. She sometimes behaved like a 12 year old, which really bothered me at times, but nothing that I couldn’t handle. The first weeks since Margot left for college, LJ kept comparing herself to her older sister and that was really annoying. She eventually stopped and actually behaved a little more her age (which I am thankful for).
Also, Lara Jean was insecure. Especially when it revolves around Genevieve. Miss ex-best friend. Example:
“Your hand is too hot,” I hiss.
Through clenched teeth he says: “No, your hand is.”
I’m sure Genevieve’s hands are never sweaty. She could probably hold hands for days without getting overheated.
She was so insecure and compared herself several/all the time(?!) to Genevieve which made me want to slap LJ because everyone is beautiful in their own unique way and you should not compare yourself to another human being. I do understand why she would feel insecure. I mean *SPOILER* you’re supposedly dating your ex-best friend’s (Genevieve) ex-boyfriend (Peter) AND your ex-best friend apparently looks like a model. Not to forget that Gen also scared away a girl that dated Peter when they ‘broke up’…poor girl. Well let’s just say, LJ has some flaws like immaturity and insecurity etc. but everyone has them, right? 

Plot: I knew immediately who sent out LJ’s letters. It was so obvious! After all of the events that happened before you just knew she had it coming. (I am not going to say who so you better go read it yourself.)
What I got from the synopsis is that I was going to read this book about a girl who writes letters to her crushes but doesn’t send them etc. and that is exactly what I got. I was hooked from the first to the last pages and craved more. Luckily I had also purchased the sequel and concluding book to the ‘TAtBILB’-duology because THAT ENDING THOUGH. My heart was broken and it could only be healed by knowing that they were going to end up together at last.


What I liked a lot in this book and also in the sequel is the family aspect. It’s just so good. Lara Jean and her sisters and family are so close. Although you might have some discussions or fights with your siblings, parents or whoever; the hate never lasts.


I don't have to be so afraid of good-bye, because good-bye doesn't mean forever.

2 opmerkingen: